*TRAINING*COACHING*RECIPES*LIFE* EATING CLEAN* KIDS* GRAMMATICAL ERRORS, AND ALL THE INSANITY IN BETWEEN.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Roots And the Split Pea.


Mention a root vegetable and I am hooked and although beets are my favorite, it is not the time of year for their spunk. Turnips, Parsnips and carrots are still bountiful in winter and are hearty to chilly day soups.  Great fiber and slow digesting carbs, you kinda got to love them.


So today I warmed up the kitchen with a split pea soup. Colorful to cook, easy to make and a wonder to taste. Peas are a great source of protein in this soup along with the turkey. Love meals in a bowl, simple and good. 

This recipe is from Tosca Reno's "The Eat Clean" cookbook. My tastebuds wanted a little sweetness to it so I added nutmeg, and I added a bit more peas than what the recipe called for. I like it real big and chunky.

6 Tbsp OVO
3 Med carrots - I used 4
 3 large parsnips- again, a few more
 2 Med leeks - I used 4 ( love leeks)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
2 1/2 tsp dried thyme
 2 tsp dried marajoram
 3 bay leaves
 11 cups chicken broth - I used 13 due to the extra veggies
 3 cups dried split peas
1 1/2 roasted turkey great, bone in

1. Heat ovo in heavy stockpot over low heat. Add root vegetables and dried herbs. Cover and cook until veggies are soft, about 20 minutes. 

2. Add all chicken stock, peas and roasted meat. Simmer, partially covered and cook until peas are tender and the soup begins to thicken a little. This takes about 45 minutes.

 3. Remove turkey and cut meat into 1 inch cubes. Disard the bone and remove bay leaves. Return meat to soup and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment